[linux-audio-user] multiband compression with ecasound and ladspa

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Wed Jan 19 09:18:12 EST 2005

Jack O'Quin writes:
> Julien Claassen <julien at c-lab.de> writes:
>
> > It would work with ecasound in the same way, very perfectly!  BUT: I
> > am blind! So I can't use jamin, if jamin doesn't have the ncurses
> > interface the Jamin people where thinking about. Does it have that?
>
> Sorry for misunderstanding, Julien.
>
> No, JAMin has a purely visual GTK-2 graphical interface.

So, all may not be lost in terms of an "eyes-free" interface.

Julien: Have you tried with Gnopernicus? Or with Orca?

I would try this myself, but I'm about to leave for a conference. I'll
see if I can get one of the handful of folks who've gotten comfortable
with Gnopernicus to take a look. It would be cool if Jammin turns out to
be accessible, without anyone knowing it. That is possible because of
the use of GTK2. If the widgets used are standard GTK2 it either already
is, or could easily be made so by providing object properties data.

> After release 1.0, we have talked about decoupling the GUI from the
> DSP engine, perhaps expanding on our existing OSC support for scene
> changes.  This would probably provide a better way to provide more
> accessible interfaces.  I think it's a good idea.  But, that won't
> happen any time soon.

Actually, by using--if you have stuck with--stock GTK2 widgets, you may
have already achieved this. Wouldn't that be something?

Certainly, the accessibility requirements pretty much require this kind
of decoupling. Output and input requirements both should be supported by
virtue of the abstracted support provided via gtk2.

Of mainstream musician interest would be alternative controls mapped via
Gok, the Gnome Onscreen Keyboard. It would be worthwhile to check this
out--and I'll do what I can, but it will take a few days.

--

Janina Sajka				Phone: +1.202.494.7040