[linux-audio-user] emu10k1 multichannel support

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Thu Jan 20 21:23:00 EST 2005

Fernando Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

>On Thu, 2005-01-20 at 17:03, Shayne O'Connor wrote:

>>>That's wrong.  You must have ALSA built into your kernel and it's
>>>interfering.  Or you didn't apply the patch correctly.  It should look
>>>like this:
>>>

>>what's the proper way to apply the patch?
>>
>>i cd'd to the alsa-driver source directory and did this:
>>
>>"patch -p1 < ../emu10k1-multichannel-v002.patch"
>>
>>and it gave output saying that it patched successfully.
>>
>>then i did "make; sudo make install", ran the snddevices script, then ran:
>>
>>"/sbin/modprobe snd-emu10k1;/sbin/modprobe snd-pcm-oss;/sbin/modprobe
>>snd-mixer-oss;/sbin/modprobe snd-seq-oss"
>>
>>i'm using a fedora core 2 planet ccrma installation - the ccrma stuff
>>was installed over my original fc2 install via apt ... i think the
>>default fc2 install compiles alsa into the kernel, but the ccrma
>>packages build alsa as a module?
>>

>:-) Both, see below...
>

>>but, then again, i'm using the ccrma patched 2.6.10 kernel, so i don't
>>think that alsa would have been compiled into that version ...
>>
>>maybe my problem was only re-compiling and installing the alsa-driver
>>package and not the others as well?
>>

>Caveat: For a normal Planet CCRMA FC2/3 install there are two locations
>for the ALSA kernel modules. One is the one that comes with the kernel
>itself. But Planet CCRMA also supplies a more up to date version of
>ALSA, and those kernel modules are installed in:
>  /lib/modules/`uname -r`/updates/
>They override (ie: they are first in the modprobe search order) the ones
>in the kernel. So if you do a normal alsa kernel modules install you
>will overwrite the modules in the kernel tree, not the updates, and then
>if you reload the module you will still get the one in the "updates"
>directory.
>
>So... you want to overwrite the updated modules, and you can do that by
>supplying the proper flag to the alsa driver configure process:
>
>    --with-moddir=/lib/modules/KERNEL_VERSION/updates
>
>With this added the install will overwrite the updated modules
>(installed through the kernel-module-alsa package for your kernel
>version). A subsequenct /sbin/depmod -a and /sbin/modprobe whatever
>should bring in the new version (provided you unload the modules first,
>of course).
>
>-- Fernando

ok, thanx fernando, that would be the problem (stupid me - i just
pointed someone on the ccrma list today to those source directories) ...
now sorry to be a pain, but how do i unload the alsa modules? i've tried
a few things:

[root at localhost mrmachine]# /sbin/rmmod snd_emu10k1
ERROR: Module snd_emu10k1 is in use by snd_emu10k1_synth
[root at localhost mrmachine]# /sbin/rmmod snd_emu10k1_synth
[root at localhost mrmachine]# /sbin/rmmod snd_emu10k1
ERROR: Module snd_emu10k1 is in use by snd_emu10k1_synth
[root at localhost mrmachine]# /sbin/rmmod snd
ERROR: Module snd is in use by
snd_emu10k1_synth,snd_seq_midi,snd_emux_synth,snd_seq_virmidi,snd_seq_midi_emul,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event,snd_seq,snd_mixer_oss,snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm,snd_timer,snd_util_mem,snd_hwdep

would i have to comment these modules out in "modprobe.conf", reboot,
then install the patched alsa-driver, then reload them (as well as
uncomment them in modprobe.conf)?

shayne.