[linux-audio-user] LAU podcasting

omjn looplog at looplog.org
Thu Jan 27 02:03:58 EST 2005

hi Mark,

correct if I'm wrong, but isn't "podcasting" specifically referring to
the process of automating downloads to your portable media player,
specifically the iPod (hence the name), using RSS encapsulation and some
sort of automagical scripting.  it isn't a new channel as such, but a
wrapper and buzzword around the same old channel known as "webcasting",
or simpler still, hosting an mp3 file on a webserver for someone to
download. (like the example you provided - it just happens to formatted
like a traditional broadcast medium).

I don't say this to be a downer on your suggestion, but if you're
actually talking about webcasting or file hosting, hasn't that been
around for a long time, and don't the same old problems of access to
bandwidth and server space still apply?

I remember some discussion on list about videos existing covering the
basics of Linux Audio.  Is this the type of thing you are after?

I only bring this up as I am interested in your request but not exactly
sure what you are requesting.  I may have access to a streaming server
in the coming months and/or would be interested in putting together some
basic demo recordings for various synthesis and processing techniques
using linux tools specifically related to soundscape design and
composition.  I get the feeling people would like to know the range of
sounds that linux audio is capable of but aren't willing to install a
distro or even run a liveCD just to tinker and find out themselves.

also, something like em411 might be useful, but specifically for linux
audio, where people can host tracks in the same place as descriptions
(including images/screenshots) of their setups, and descriptions of how
the tracks were made.  I'm not sure I have the time to manage something
like that myself, but would be very enthusiastic to get something in
this veign off the ground.  Something like a LAU wiki, which could
incorporate all of these things?

just some suggestions.. feedback appreciated.

cheers
Michael