[linux-audio-user] midicomp (yet another text 2 midi converter)

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Fri Jan 28 07:40:48 EST 2005

LinuxMedia wrote:
>>> My only question is - why would you want to convert MIDI to text?
>>> I assume this would mainly be a debugging tool?
>
> I haven't looked into the tools yet. But appearently, it's midi2text and
> text2midi. When I saw that, the first thing that ran thru my mind was
> "what a great way for someone to be able to easily create a program that
> uses these tools to do certain tasks" (like seperating different
> instruments from a midi file into seperate tracks). I'm sure there's
> more ways of using these tools. But that's the first thing that ran thru
> my mind... A third program that preforms certain kinds of editing on
> midi files. Maybe even batch processing.

It's also interesting to be able to use standard linux shell
tools like grep and awk, plus any scripting language or any
text editor, to tweak and even create MIDI files from scratch.

There is another text to midi "compiler" here that I ported
from some older code a few years ago...

 http://alsa.opensrc.org/midicomp/

There is even a pure PHP based implementation of the same old
codebase somewhere on the net... a neat way for a website to
manipulate MIDI files online.

--markc