[linux-audio-user] midicomp (yet another text 2 midi converter)

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas plcl at telefonica.net
Fri Jan 28 17:58:51 EST 2005

On Friday 28 January 2005 22:40, Mark Constable wrote:
> It's also interesting to be able to use standard linux shell
> tools like grep and awk, plus any scripting language or any
> text editor, to tweak and even create MIDI files from scratch.
>
> There is another text to midi "compiler" here that I ported
> from some older code a few years ago...
>
>  http://alsa.opensrc.org/midicomp/

It is nice to know that there are several alternatives to choose. I've found
more references at linux-sound.org:

- Folly: a text-to-MIDI program written in Perl/Tk
	Dead link, http://homepage.ntlworld.com/serissa/

- Midge: Midi sequencing from the comfort of your text editor
	http://www.dmriley.demon.co.uk/code/midge/
	(This is a Perl based programming tool)

- GMC:  Guenthers Midi Compiler, a tool to convert text to midi.
	http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Software/8918/linux/index.html

Both Midge and GMC are based on some kind of music description languages. In
this area is worth to mention Lilypond because it generates MIDI files and
nice scores at the same time, using also an input text describing the music.

OTOH, midicomp and midicsv are very similar, based on a text format
representation very near to the SMF format.

> There is even a pure PHP based implementation of the same old
> codebase somewhere on the net... a neat way for a website to
> manipulate MIDI files online.

I think you mean this one (PHP MIDI Class)
	http://staff.dasdeck.de/valentin/midi/

Regards,
Pedro