[linux-audio-user] Decent reverb, and DSP in hardware?

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Sat Jan 29 00:25:06 EST 2005

davidrclark at earthlink.net wrote:
> A couple of days ago, you posted:
>
>>tool that it would be better in 90% of usage cases that a
>>simple set of reliable but convincing presets
>
> Past history, current use, and the proliferation of reverb models strongly
> suggest that users don't agree what the presets should be, and that's the
> problem.  Even so, I did offer a set to those who request.

I'd still prefer the scenario where I could select from Ha111,
Hall2 and Hall3 and only if they are not satisfactory, then
have to RTFM to work out finer tuned options.

> You also suggested that I somehow "condemned" you to "never use" my programs.
> Linux is user-supported software.  Anyone who uses any type of Linux software,
> whether it be audio or whatever, should be prepared to roll up their sleeves
> and work on the software as well as "just make music," or whatever they
> really wanted to do.  Those who aren't willing to do this condemn themselves.

I did also say, and understand, "you don't owe me any presets".

My point was that if you, or anyone, release code and interfaces
that only a high level of deeper understanding can take advantage
of then your efforts cannot be appreciated by the unwashed masses.
That may be exactly the way you want things and that's fine, it's
your call on the software you put your efforts into.

> Now I realize that getting really involved is tough, but anyone who would
> be critical should understand that I didn't know anything about all this
> when I started out, either.  I especially hate working on GUI's, yet I learned
> all about Gtk+ and Glade, then created some for potential users --- so I'm
> "walking the walk."

I appreciate what you are saying. From my point of view though,
where do I put the hours in a day I can spare... I do web and
sys admin work, do I spend my time becoming an apache hacker, I
need KDE to work so do I endevour to become a Qt expert, I want
audio to work so do I have to become an audio engineer for that.
My point is I have rolled up my sleeves in a number of areas a
number of times and what keeps me from deserting the linux arena
is that lots of people are rolling up their collective sleeves
and it all mostly moves along at a fine pace.

> To a more general audience:
>
> I would strongly encourage anyone who wants to "just make music" or "just
> whatever" to go back to Windows or Mac.

In my case, I have never used winmacs, but I am considering a
Mac as a dedicated audio "black box". I don't even have the
luxury of having spent years didling with various pirated
windows audio packages to have an easy basic understanding of
how engineer-free audio apps are supposed to work.

>  Such people who insist on trying
> to use Linux because they despise Microsoft or Bill Gates or because they
> want to make some sort of political statement are setting themselves up for
> repeated disappointment and disillusionment.  This message should be
> communicated more often than it is, especially here in Linux Audio or other
> multimedia where Linux is far, far behind Windows and Mac for general users.

I totally disagree with this sentiment. I don't appreciate
that folks should be discouraged from using linux because
their level of servility does not suit your fine standards.

I don't say this in a trollish or flamish manner, I just
don't agree that their should be ANY artificial barriers to
entry for any reason. To me, the more eyes on all facets of
using linux is invaluable, not just on the code.

> What I see is that most LAUer's who claim that they "just want to make music"
> also "want to save money," "want to stick it to Microsoft," "want to use
> only open source software" and so on....

Yes and yes, so what's wrong with the above reasons and
quite a few more. Let's try "my 86 yo mother uses linux
because her lame-brained son would not have it any other
way"... at least I don't have to explain to her why there
is no extra reverb on her mp3s... and as it turns out she
never complains about them being too dry anyway.

:-)

--markc