[linux-audio-user] software for a live audio desk

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Jan 30 10:36:51 EST 2005

Hallo,
Dan Mills hat gesagt: // Dan Mills wrote:

> On Sunday 30 January 2005 13:01, Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> > However there also are some specialized players around.
> >
> > Soundpanel there to help in radio production, but might be useful
> > on stage, too: http://www.salemradiolabs.com/soundpanel/
>
> The standalone soundpanel as opposed to the ones built into Rivendell, only
> works with ASI hardware IIRC!
>
> Now you could use Rivendell which gets you the soundpanel buttons for
> incidental spot effects and the 3 playback logs for cuelists, but it feels
> like overkill to me.

Thanks for this additional info. I admit I've never used the Salem
software.

Personally I really would build such a custom solution in Pd, not
only, because I'm an experienced Pd user, but also because it offers
so many possibilities to easily build custom interfaces to control
sound. And Pd is actually used for theatrical performances in Austria
and in other places, too. (Unless those places use Max/MSP ;)

With Pd, using hardware controllers like midi faderboxes, keyboards or
the wide range of USB HID devices like joysticks or jog/shuttle wheels
like the Contour Shuttle products is very simple and easy. Another
advantage is, that in your GUI you can hide away all those things,
which you don't want to see while performing--something which
"off the shelf" software would have a hard time to predict.

Ciao