[linux-audio-user] OT: Using Linux as Bass amp / preamp recommendations

Sampo Savolainen v2 at iki.fi
Sat Jul 2 18:46:38 EDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 23:58 +0200, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> I've just seen a Behringer which seems to be very flexible:
>
> http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_behringer_mic200_tube_
> ultragain_preamp_prodinfo.html

According to the specs, it seems to have a 1M ohm input, so it should be
good (not "optimal" though) for a bass / guitar. Also, you can try the
drive on the preamp as an effect for the bass. It will (surprise,
surprise) work like i explained with the "tube (pre)amp emulation"
plugins.. :)

> I'm really curious what I'll get out of my linux box using
> creox or jack-rack. I guess it will be much better than I
> expect!

Then you might be expecting quite a lot! :)

As there is no "out-of-the box guitar/bass cabinet simulator" LADSPA
plugin and thus, you'll have to know a bit of what you are doing. I'm
not saying that you need a huge amount of experience & knowledge, the
willingness to learn is more than enough.

With the current plugins we have, Linux audio has huge potential for
building your own "amplifier" and "tone shaping/bending" processors.
Just don't expect it to sound "groovy" with the presets! (lol, like we
would have presets!) But my main point was this = you will not get the
"stadium rock sound" by simply plugging in your bass. You probably need
a combination of a compressor, eq, delay/chorus/reverb etc. to get the
sound you want. Maybe even more processing, maybe less.

Have fun, that's the most important part.
..And enjoy your new toys!

--
Sampo Savolainen <v2 at iki.fi>