[linux-audio-user] Using Linux as Bass amp

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Jul 3 05:56:04 EDT 2005

Last Saturday 02 July 2005 15:19, Christoph Eckert was like:
> I just ordereed an electric bass (passive). I'd like to
> directly plug it in into my soundcard and to use Linux as an
> amplifier (and record it to ardour, of course).
>
> As I'm not yet familiar to basses and guitars yet, I wonder
> what I should use for the bass. There's creox, but it's a bit
> dated.
>
> OTOH, I thought jack-rack could be my friend. If so, which
> LADSPAS can I use in conjunction with a bass? I guess (but I
> do not know) that a compressor can do a great job. There are
> several LADSPAS for it, so if anyone has a working setup I'd
> be glad for some hints.

Frankly, if you're recording to ardour, then DI-ing it may be fine. Some kind
of pre-amp will help. The SC series of compressors can be useful, best bass
sounds are usually the least mucked around with in my experience.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk