[linux-audio-user] More Homemade Music --

Steve D groups at xscd.com
Sun Jul 3 09:48:45 EDT 2005

On Sat, Jul 02, 2005 at 11:02:38AM +0100, tim hall wrote:

> Yes, I took my time getting round to looking at Ardour. I have found it very
> intuitive to use and as you say, you only need to know a limited set of
> functions to record and master a basic multitrack piece. I'm beginning to
> think of it as the audio equivalent to GIMP, rather than the Linux equivalent
> to ProTools.
>
> tim hall
> http://glastonburymusic.org.uk
--- --- ---

Good way of looking at it. After only two full days with Ardour, I have
become surprisingly familiar and relatively comfortable with it and am
starting to like Ardour a *lot*. I clicked the "Support Ardour" PayPal
link at the ardour.org website and donated some money to the project.

I used to use Apple Macintosh computers before switching to Linux about
1998, and spent a fortune on graphics and MIDI/audio programs such as
Adobe PhotoShop, Opcode's Studio Vision Pro, etc., and their regular
upgrades. Now I get to use all this equivalent-functionality stuff in
Linux for *free*, so I have begun to donate to various projects whose
products I use, in a kind of random and sporadic, impulsive but regular
way. I'm very grateful for them.

I'm also grateful for your suggestions, as well as Mark C's and Thorsten
W's, regarding the arrangement and mix of the little piece I recently
recorded. I re-recorded the piece from scratch taking into consideration
every suggestion. Not that anyone would care, but the new version is
here:

http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/ogg/lonesome_butte.ogg

--the old version (for comparison) is here:

http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/ogg/lonesome_butte_old.ogg

-steve d