[linux-audio-user] Collaboration

Steve D groups at xscd.com
Mon Jul 4 13:26:07 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 11:02:24AM +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote:

> I would like to hear what you come up with on some breakbeats, if you are
> interested:
> http://wrstud.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/this_and_that.ogg
> ---
> Thorsten Wilms
--- --- ---

Really interesting, Thorsten. It would be a bit daunting to try to put
some music to, because the piece as a whole has a very irregular meter.
Within each snippet of audio in the piece there is often a metered
rhythm, but the meter often changes abruptly between brief sections of
the audio.

However, it does seem that some atmospheric or ambient type of
unmetered, freeform sound might work, or sound that may have a metrical
or rhythmic base of its own, distinct but somehow compatible with the
rhythms that already exist in the piece. But it does seem like any music
added to that piece would have to "float above or alongside" it, like a
river or cloud's relationship to a landscape, rather than being
integrated and enmeshed into the existing audio in any kind of detailed
way.

I'm going to think about it for a while. I'm not sure I can do justice
to such a project, but I may try. Thanks for responding to my post about
collaboration.

-sd
America, the richest and most powerful nation in the world,
can well lead the way in this revolution of values. There is
nothing, except a tragic death wish, to prevent us from
reordering our priorities, so that the pursuit of peace will
take precedence over the pursuit of war. -Dr. Martin Luther
King