[linux-audio-user] Collaboration (was: More Homemade...)

Steve D groups at xscd.com
Thu Jul 7 01:39:01 EDT 2005

On Mon, Jul 04, 2005 at 11:02:24AM +0200, Thorsten Wilms wrote, in
response to Steve D's musings about possibly collaborating with someone
by trying to create some music using someone else's audio
file--specifically a drum/percussion track:

> I would like to hear what you come up with on some breakbeats, if you are
> interested:
> http://wrstud.uni-wuppertal.de/~ka0394/this_and_that.ogg
> Just ignore the overy simplistic and repetetiv melody, it's a very old
> track :)
> I could load the drumloops up, no arrangement, as I'm very busy and I would
> do it in MusE anyway, not Ardour as I don't feel like learning to use it,
> since I usualy need both audio and midi in one go (the original has been
> created with Cubase VST).
>
> This offer is also open for anyone else.
>
> Thorsten Wilms
--- --- ---

Hello Thorsten--

I downloaded the re-uploaded file of "This and That" (the one whose data
was not corrupted), and worked on it for about 2 days, off and on. I
added various harmony and melodic stuff until I ran out of ideas, which
was about halfway through the piece. The original "breakbeats" file (as
you called it) is about 6 minutes 30 seconds long, and my version
chopped it roughly in half, to about 3 and a quarter minutes.

If you or anyone cares to hear the results, the files are here:

Thorsten Wilms, This and That (original file):

http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/ogg/thorsten-wilms_this_and_that.ogg

Thorsten Wilms and Steve Doonan, This and That (the version with my
additions):

http://www.xscd.com/pub/music/ogg/thorsten-wilms-and-steve-doonan_this_and_that.ogg

-sd