[linux-audio-user] Re: Re: Call for collaboration

James Stone jmstone at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Jul 14 01:32:30 EDT 2005

On Tue, 12 Jul 2005 17:21:10 +0100, james-ngfRbgMv8TwV8AREJM4DLQ wrote:

>> In my opinion, the best vocal accompaniment to this track would be a
>> spoken voice piece, preferably with a scottish accent (think a cross
>> between Iggy Pop and Prolapse in their more laid-back phases, possibly
>> Coil).
>
> Interesting.  I was thinking more like muffled, soulful, slow-paced
> singing with lingering notes, cutting to sparkly, faster, more urgent
> pieces when everything crashes back in.  Sigur Ros meets Portishead and
> Bjork.

Yes well if I sounded like Bjork I would be very happy (if I was a girl!).

I have recorded my version.. Almost random lyrics inspired by the
instrumental track.. slightly spooky in my opinion.. Cross between
Coil and Tarwater. Recorded into Ardour on a cheapo computer mike and then
compressed with Barry's Satan Maximizer, passed through a low-pass filter
and then through gverb with 100% dry component as well as a 6 sec. reverb.

listen to it here:

http://www.jmstone.dsl.pipex.com/sv_WIP_into_the_night.ogg

>> If I think of some good lyrics I will certainly have a go, but I don't
>> think South-Eastern UK accent is quite so up there in the cool stakes!
>
> Haha, well it's better than what I've got - High-speed dumb-sounding
> Blackcountry.
>
> Ow am ya?

I think this would be cool!

>> I'm sure there are hundreds of other ways to go with this track though.
>> It will be interesting to see what people come up with.
>
> Yup, I can't wait.

Should be good.. Can't wait to hear the sung version!

James