[linux-audio-user] [OT] Question on mixer

Michael T D Nelson m_nels at gmx.net
Sat Jul 23 12:06:13 EDT 2005

Allan Graves wrote:
> Question on mixer setup.
>
> I'd like to begin recording to my pc, with a standard one input sound
> card.  I'd like to do vocals and midi from my S90.  To do the vocals
> though, I'd like the output of what's on the computer, and the output
> of what's coming from the S90, to go to the vocalist, but only be
> recording her vocals, not the whole main mix again.  Do I need to get
> a mixer with sub groups so that I can play the entire mix through the
> main outputs and control outputs but only record her vocals?  How do
> other people do this?  The Behringer 1204-PRO seems like it might do
> what I want, but I thought I'd ask others opinion.
> Thanks!

There are many ways of doing this, but here's my experience:

I have a Behringer 1204-PRO. I recorded my guitar for the first time in
Linux last night, using qjackctl, ardour, and qsynth for some drums.

The Behringer 1204 will definitely do what you want, but it's always
worth spending a few minutes thinking through what can be routed where.

It's only a simple cheap mixer, but the quality is passable for my
current purposes at least.

Hope this helps
Michael Nelson