[linux-audio-user] outboard DA/AD boxes-firewire-usb

Nick Torenvliet torenvliet at bmts.com
Wed Jun 1 17:49:30 EDT 2005

Hey all,

So I am into birthday season... my project studio platform for the
foreseeable future is a dell 8600 with an 2.0 GHz pentiun m and 512 MB
Ram-- sound card is ac'97 using the snd-inte8x0 driver.

I know I need a desktop but... Surprisingly this little beast does
pretty well- for now at least.

As the next step in building the project studio I am thinking about
getting either an--

ART pro-channel mic-preamp with some Wharfedale diamond 8.2 Active
Monitors

OR

some kind of outboard recording hardware that comes in fire-wire or usb
to the laptop... definitely with preamps and good signal isolation.
Digital/MIDI etc. would all be good too.

Does anyone have some advice on firewire/usb hardware for linux?

Can anyone estimate which route--.. preamp plus ac'97 card or the
outboard hardware would make my electric bass/guitar and acoustic guitar
tracks sound best right now?

Does anyone know about those wharfedale active studio montitors?

I would appreciate it