[linux-audio-user] Advice on software?

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Thu Jun 2 02:39:21 EDT 2005

Last Thursday 02 June 2005 00:33, Darren Inwood was like:
> The main problem I am having is that there is just so much info to trawl
> through and so many apps!  Can anyone recommend something stable that
> could function as a jack-connected sampler player,

Specimen.

Also worth looking at ZynAddSubFX for synthesis and QSynth / Fluidsynth for
playing soundfonts.

> and something else
> stable that could function as a regular MIDI sequencer and/or MIDI
> loop/drum sequencer for my external synths?

Rosegarden4, MuSE
However, I'd recommend Hydrogen for generating drum loops.

Start with these half a dozen applications, you will get a good idea of where
to go next. Rosegarden has a significant but worthwhile learning curve, as
does Ardour, which you will want to investigate once you are ready to start
recording / putting it all together.

cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk