[linux-audio-user] Re: Advice on software?

James Stone jmstone at dsl.pipex.com
Thu Jun 2 15:34:16 EDT 2005

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 07:39:21 +0100, tim hall wrote:

> Last Thursday 02 June 2005 00:33, Darren Inwood was like:
>> The main problem I am having is that there is just so much info to trawl
>> through and so many apps!  Can anyone recommend something stable that
>> could function as a jack-connected sampler player,
>
> Specimen.
>
> Also worth looking at ZynAddSubFX for synthesis and QSynth / Fluidsynth
> for playing soundfonts.
>
>> and something else
>> stable that could function as a regular MIDI sequencer and/or MIDI
>> loop/drum sequencer for my external synths?
>
> Rosegarden4, MuSE
> However, I'd recommend Hydrogen for generating drum loops.

I would recommend seq24 as a nice (not traditional style, but very light
and better for live work IMHO) sequencer, along with specimen (samples)
and jack-rack (ladspa plugin effects box), all through jack run using
qjacktl (to make connections easier), and recorded using jack timemachine
(very simple).

For something completely different from any music program you have ever
used (or imagined) before, try freewheeling.. you definitely have to watch
the tutorial videos to work out how to use it though!

James