[linux-audio-user] mic preamp recommendations ?

Paul Coccoli pcoccoli at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 10:04:26 EDT 2005

On 6/7/05, Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
> Greetings:
>
>   I'd like to know what my fellow LAUyers recommend for a mic preamp for
> use with the following gear:
>
>     mics:
>       Shure SM58
>       Yamaha MZ106s
>
>     interfaces:
>       M-Audio Delta 66
>       PDAudioCF PCMCIA digital input card
>
>   The gear is used for desktop recording, so I'd like to keep the cost
> low. Like, really low... ;)

I use an M-Audio Audio Buddy with my Delta 66.  I got it new for $50
(on sale) at Guitar Center.  I don't think you can beat it for the
price: 2 channels, balanced outs, plus hi-Z inputs (so you can use it
like as a DI, works good for bass guitar).

I also picked up a M-Audio Duo from eBay (it's discontinued).  Though
marketed as a USB audio interface, it has a standalone mode where it
works as a 2 channel mic pre with A/D and S/PDIF out. Plugged into the
Delta 66 S/PDIF in, I can use all 6 channels at once (though I
haven't, yet).  I think the mic pres are the same as the DMP-2; they
sound slightly nicer.

Paul