[linux-audio-user] mic preamp recommendations ?

Paul Winkler pw_lists at slinkp.com
Tue Jun 7 11:21:56 EDT 2005

On Tue, Jun 07, 2005 at 02:13:20PM +0100, anahata wrote:
> If you want better sound quality, the next steps up are:
>
> * Mackie 1202 VLZ. Yes, it's a mixer, but the 4 mic inputs are good
> bang for buck, worth considering if you think you'll ever need more than
> 2 channels.

+1.  I have one. You can get one on ebay for approx $200,
and sooner or later the extra channels will come in really handy.
Honestly I doubt that anything cheaper is worth buying,
except in the sense that recording through a piece of crap is
preferable to not recording at all.

> * FMR RNP - "Really Nice Preamp" highly thought of by many of the folks in
> rec.audio.pro, a lot more expensive but way below the price of the real
> golden channel stuff. Said to make an SM57 really shine.

I want one of these :-) Actually I REALLY want some old Neve channels,
but hey, I also want super-strength, X-ray vision and invulnerability.

There are some interesting DIY projects out there if
you're inclined for that sort of thing.
googling for "DIY mic preamp" turns up lots.

--

Paul Winkler
http://www.slinkp.com