[linux-audio-user] Laptop recommendations?

Peter Lutek plutek at infinity.net
Fri Jun 17 09:53:26 EDT 2005

James McDermott wrote:

>Any recommendations for laptops? I'm looking at Toshiba and
>Fujitsu-Siemens models around EUR1100. I'll mostly be doing synthesis,
>eg ZynAddSubFX, and programming. I'll be using the built-in soundcard,
>at least for now. I don't really care about battery life.
>
>The main question is: Celeron v Pentium 4 v Pentium-M? I read where
>Steve Harris wrote:
>

>>the Pentium M's are better for audio work (IMHO) than
>>

>pentium 4's, due to better denormal handling, and can do more
>clock-for-clock.
>
>Is this true for Celeron-M as well (if it really exists)? Or should I
>definitely, definitely avoid Celeron?

i can't speak to the celeron issue, but i can definitely say that i am happy with pentium-m. i initially brought home a 2.5GHz hyperthreaded pentium-4 machine (by hp) --   performance was fine, but it was a big, heavy, NOISY beast. i switched to a 1.6GHz pentium-m (by acer), and found it to be better able to handle my application load, and much lighter and quieter.

for me, acer travelmate 4002WLMi, with RAM upgraded to 1Gb and HD
upgraded to 7200rpm, has been excellent.

ymmv...hth.

-p