[linux-audio-user] How can a user help development?

Fabricio Rocha rocha_fabricio at yahoo.com.br
Tue Jun 21 20:12:30 EDT 2005

Hiyall! Christoph Eckert gave an interesting reply to a previous message
of mine, in which I said I had interest in helping development of
music/audio Free Software: "You can. Found a bug? File a bug report
shortly but precicely describing the problem. Missing features? Write a
feature request. One difficulty is that this needs to learn good
bugrerports/feature requests, but it's not that difficult."

Indeed. Well, this is an interesting topic. I guess that many of the Linux-audio-developers are in this list too, so I would like to ask...

1) You, developers in the LAU list, what´s your favourite way for receiving bug reports and suggestions for your projects? Which are those projects and where exactly can we offer suggestions and bug reports? This is not so obvious. I´ve been trying to be participative in Rosegarden Users list and it is a very good place for tips and suggestions. But I suppose (maybe wrongly) that not many apps have a support list as such. Also, some lists and forums are really big, and it sounds unlikely that the developer(s) will have time and patience to read everything. Some days ago I wrote a bug report for Hydrogen but found no place to post it in Hydrogen´s website. Had to e-mail it to the chief developer (sorry, can´t recall his name now), and I think this is also not the best thing to do.

2) Is there anything like a "How-To Help Developers as a User"? Or, more specifically, which apps/projects offer this kind of information for non-programmers/novice/intermediate users? Maybe a list of requests from the developers to the users, like "We need people to do this, this, this and that", with some "howto" information as such, could be useful. Specially because not all users are completely non-developers. For example, I have some knowledge in C and I can play with Glade for creating (documented) GTK interfaces. Some people are good in designing icons. And so on. But please remember that some stuff are way too geekish for us -- SourceForge CVS comes to my mind now.

Thanks!

Fabricio Rocha
Brasilia, Brasil