[linux-audio-user] Hardware recommendations

Nathan Curry thegnu at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 09:52:24 EDT 2005

Hey all,
I'm relatively new to computer audio recording, and have been using
Linux for about a year and a half, and I need some recommendations as
to what hardware I should get.

I'm trying to set up a recording studio capable of at least recording
drums (4 or 5 channels?), guitars (2 channels), bass (1 channel), and
vocals (1 to 4 channels).  I also need a MIDI controller.  I'm looking
at the RME Hammerfall line of products because of what I've heard
about their compatibility with Linux.

The equipment I already have is:
1. A couple SM57s, as well as a set of drum mics
2. An EZ-BUS (8 track mixer with optical ADAT i/o, 2 channels XLR w.
phantom power), unless my friend in Mexico sold it (this will also
determine whether or not he's my friend).
3. A computer.

My questions:
1. From what I understand, the wordclock available in the 9652 models
is to syncronize all the audio, and that sounds like something I need.
 Is this true?
2. The DIGI line doesn't have MIDI, and the HDSP line does.  How hard
would it be to use an emu10k1 midi in and syncronize it with the rest
of the audio?  Is it worth the trouble?
3. I was looking at a Berhinger ADA8000, because it would provide 8
channels with phantom power, and ADAT I/O.  Does this look like a good
idea?  Any other suggestions?

So that's where I'm at.  I don't want to spend TOO much money, but I
also want something as functional and versatile as possible.
Thoughts?

Thanks,
Nathan