[linux-audio-user] Hardware recommendations

Peter Lutek plutek at infinity.net
Sat Jun 25 10:35:58 EDT 2005

Nathan Curry wrote:
> Hey all,
> I'm relatively new to computer audio recording, and have been using
> Linux for about a year and a half, and I need some recommendations as
> to what hardware I should get.
>
> I'm trying to set up a recording studio capable of at least recording
> drums (4 or 5 channels?), guitars (2 channels), bass (1 channel), and
> vocals (1 to 4 channels).  I also need a MIDI controller.  I'm looking
> at the RME Hammerfall line of products because of what I've heard
> about their compatibility with Linux.
>
> The equipment I already have is:
> 1. A couple SM57s, as well as a set of drum mics
> 2. An EZ-BUS (8 track mixer with optical ADAT i/o, 2 channels XLR w.
> phantom power), unless my friend in Mexico sold it (this will also
> determine whether or not he's my friend).
> 3. A computer.
>
> My questions:
> 1. From what I understand, the wordclock available in the 9652 models
> is to syncronize all the audio, and that sounds like something I need.
>  Is this true?

yes, all of your digital audio devices should be clocked from one source.

> 2. The DIGI line doesn't have MIDI, and the HDSP line does.  How hard
> would it be to use an emu10k1 midi in and syncronize it with the rest
> of the audio?  Is it worth the trouble?

don't know about that, but i use an HDSP multiface, and it is delightful
-- rock-solid for both midi and audio. i use it as my wordclock master
as well.

> 3. I was looking at a Berhinger ADA8000, because it would provide 8
> channels with phantom power, and ADAT I/O.  Does this look like a good
> idea?  Any other suggestions?

i use an RME octamic and a focusrite octopre (both with the digital
option cards). they're both great. the focusrite has a basic but useful
dynamics section on every channel, and is perhaps slightly more "open"
sounding. the octamic, on the other hand, has a cool resettable peak
hold feature and can be operated on batteries. the multiface can also be
operated on batteries, so if off-the-grid portability is at all useful,
a laptop with multiface and octamic gets you eight channels without ac
power.

best-
-p