[linux-audio-user] Ideas about work flow

Brett W. McCoy idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Tue Mar 1 10:12:15 EST 2005

Hi,

I have some questions and ideas about workflow using Ardour and Jamin
and wanted to see what other people's experiences have been in this area.

Here's the workflow I want to put into place:

Say I have 3 or 4 songs that I want to have segue into each other (i.e.,
like on most prog rock concept albums where each song flows into each
other rather than individual tracks that are separate).  Each song is
recorded in a separate session, since each has different
instrumentation, tempo, atmosphere, etc.  Maybe I want to have some wind
or sound effects or something also as part of the segue, so one song
fades out to wind while a second song starts while the wind is still
blowing (yeah, yeah, I know, how cliched).

Now, from here, maybe my next step would be to do initial mixes of these
tracks to stereo WAV files, and then I build a super session and import
the WAV files and build a playlist with the tracks, so I can get flow
between the tracks the way I want, set crossfades, seques, etc.  Then
perhaps I master these tracks via Jamin so I can get a good sound level
balance between the tracks, and then record this output back into the
Ardour session as a final mixed and mastered sequence, and thence onto
the DAO CD mastering (where I probably would put in track markers with
zero gaps).

Or, would I perhaps want to do some pre-mastering of the individual
multitrack sessions first, and then mix down to stereo WAV and then
build a playlist out of the pre-mastered tracks, then back through Jamin
for final audio mastering, recording this back into Ardour, and then
finally off to the CD mastering step?

-- Brett