[linux-audio-user] PD demos?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Mar 3 14:29:06 EST 2005

Hallo,
Juhana Sadeharju hat gesagt: // Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> Wow. CVS version of PD compiled fine. Only the sine wave demo
> in extra/ dir makes sound.

Which sine wave demo in extra?

> Other demos makes no sound.  The demo situation could be better.

You forgot to switch on Audio computation in "Media -> Audio On" or
the main window. Yes, you did. ;)

(With some help patches you need to turn up volume, often above "pd
output" or move some sliders, too.)

> I would like to have an analog-style synth patch. Anyone?

Try /usr/lib/pd/doc/3.audio.examples/C08.analog.sequencer.pd for starters.

> I would like to have a list of all the available objects and
> abstractions. Anyone?

In the fine manual, this chapter explains how to get the list of
builtin objects: "2.2.7. popup menu for properties, open, and help"
(Tip: rightclick the background canvas). There is no list of available
abstractions, as every pd patch is an abstraction, this list would be
huge (I have thousands of pd patches on my disk).

A "class browser" for externals is in imPureData, an experimental
version of Pd, but hasn't found its way into main Pd yet.

> A list having the icon of the object and
> a short description next to the icon.

???

> Small problems occured:
>
> When I add a slider to an object, the slider does not pick up
> the object's default values. How to do this?

Use [loadbang] or set "init" in the the sliders properties.

> I could not add adsr object to "*~ 0.5" object but could
> add it to "*~" object. Confusing.

There is no builtin adsr object, so I'm not sure, what adsr you are
talking about. Anyway, [*~] has two signal inlets, [*~ FLOAT] has only
one, the left inlet. The other inlet gets converted to a message inlet
if you use a float argument to [*~]. This is explained in the help
patch for [*~] which you can open by right-clicking a [*~]. The
difference between signals and messages is in the HTML docs, which you
have read once or twice, hopefully.

> Audio in the sine wave demo started skipping (A/D/A sync errors).

Which sine wave demo?

Ciao

             _ __latest track: fqdn _ http://footils.org/cms/show/38