[linux-audio-user] MIdisport 8x8 simply working

Christoph Eckert mchristoph.eckert at t-online.de
Fri Mar 4 12:53:19 EST 2005

Hi,

> > In ALSA, there appeared two additional control ports.
>
> Two?  Not one?

sorry, I meant 1 readable and one writable port:

aconnect -i
client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
    0 'Timer           '
    1 'Announce        '
client 88: 'MidiSport 8x8' [type=kernel]
    0 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 1'
    1 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 2'
    2 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 3'
    3 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 4'
    4 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 5'
    5 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 6'
    6 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 7'
    7 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 8'
    8 'MidiSport 8x8 Control'

aconnect -o
client 88: 'MidiSport 8x8' [type=kernel]
    0 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 1'
    1 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 2'
    2 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 3'
    3 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 4'
    4 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 5'
    5 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 6'
    6 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 7'
    7 'MidiSport 8x8 MIDI 8'
    8 'MidiSport 8x8 Control'

> > Are there any sysex commands which can be used to set up
> > the midisport 8x8 patchbay?
>
> Yes.
>
> (I don't know what they are, so I was lucky that you didn't
> ask for them.  ;-)

hehe, of course I wanted to ask but I guessed that noone would
know anything.

I asked m-audio via mail, but I was told that I can only set
it up via the mac or win control panel software.

So I opened the win control panel executable in a hex editor
and searched for the m-audio sysex ID. I found some bytes,
but to be honest I fear I could damage my recent investment.

And to be honest again, I feel that it not will last long
until I'll try it out ;-) .

The panel reads the contents of the midisport at startup, so I
guess the bytes in the executable are sysex request files.
I'll sent some of them to the control input, and hopefully
the midisport will return the memory contents (which then can
be easily analysed).

 Best regards

    ce