[linux-audio-user] Synthesis Tools: What to use and how to use it?

Michael Wagner mw at wasted.ch
Mon Mar 7 07:10:34 EST 2005

Hello there,

As you might guess, I'm new to the list. Last year I started to develop interest
in using the computer to create music - partly because I'm interested in music
AND computers: so why not join these two things? - and partly because my band
broke up due to the drummer who left town: so why rely on humans, when you can
use a machine? ;-)

Well, I started reading about recording- and mainly synthesis-techniques. Just
recently I started reading the "Computer Music Tutorial", which some of you
probably know. It is highly interesting and I think I learned a lot about this
topic, so far.
Unfortunately, I'm not quite sure about how to use these synthesis techniques in
"real life". I mean, I know the basic principles of a few techniques and the
basics on waveforms etc. but how can I get the sound I'm looking for out of my
softsynth?

In terms of software synthesizers, so far, I only looked into Alsa Modular Synth
and Zynaddsubfx. I like both of them, but I think, to apply techniques like
multiple wavetable synthesis or additive analysis/resynthesis (which sounded
particularly interesting to me) and to get a wide range of different sounds, I
need to get my hands on more "sophisticated" tools like Pd, CSound or whatever
else there is. But actually, I have no idea, which one to choose. The point is,
that I really don't want to delve into one of these languages, only to find
out, that I should have learned another one...

So... what is the tool to use? I want to be able to do the synthesis techniques
described in the before mentioned book, it should be controllable in realtime
(at least for less resource-intensive patches). With "controllable" I mean,
that one should be able to easily change important parameters, e.g. by
assigning MIDI-controllers to them and changing these values over time either
manually or letting a sequencing tool change them. It would be nice, if output
via jack would be supported, so it can be integrated with other Software tools,
as well as my hardware synth and drumcomputer.

I'd be glad, if someone could help me out about my problem...

btw: I hope not to start some kind of religious war... ^_^

thanks in advance,
-Michael Wagner