[linux-audio-user] Synthesis Tools: What to use and how to use it?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Mar 7 09:10:35 EST 2005

Hallo,
Michael Wagner hat gesagt: // Michael Wagner wrote:

> In terms of software synthesizers, so far, I only looked into Alsa
> Modular Synth and Zynaddsubfx. I like both of them, but I think, to
> apply techniques like multiple wavetable synthesis or additive
> analysis/resynthesis (which sounded particularly interesting to me)
> and to get a wide range of different sounds, I need to get my hands
> on more "sophisticated" tools like Pd, CSound or whatever else there
> is. But actually, I have no idea, which one to choose. The point is,
> that I really don't want to delve into one of these languages, only
> to find out, that I should have learned another one...

Well, you will need to do just exactly that: Dive in and try things
out. We all did, we all chose some tools first which we don't use
anymore, but still got something valuable out of them. For example I
started with Csound. I even bought the Csound Book, which is now
collecting dust on my shelf, as I don't use Csound at all anymore. I
tried some more software and then settled on Pd, which still is
exactly what suits my working habits and aesthetics best with its
realtime nature and visual approach. (I'm also capable of "real
programming" with text editors however I like to do music in other
ways.)

> So... what is the tool to use? I want to be able to do the synthesis
> techniques described in the before mentioned book, it should be
> controllable in realtime (at least for less resource-intensive
> patches). With "controllable" I mean, that one should be able to
> easily change important parameters, e.g. by assigning
> MIDI-controllers to them and changing these values over time either
> manually or letting a sequencing tool change them. It would be nice,
> if output via jack would be supported, so it can be integrated with
> other Software tools, as well as my hardware synth and drumcomputer.

As I wrote above nobody except you can tell what you will like but
from your descrption I guess: You are a typical Pd user! Give it a
try. You also might want to try SuperCollider or Csound. Pd is
powerful, but not really hard to get into, especially not while you
are reading a book like the CMT or the Dodge/Jerse book.

You should then start with reading Pd's html manual, which many
beginners unfortunatly like to skip and then they ask all those
questions which are explained in the html manual already. This is a
bit annoying of course. ;) Better read it first and afterwards ask
about the points you didn't fully understand. The html docs are
online here: http://www-crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/Pd_documentation/

After you read the html, go through the documentation patches once.
They are numbered for a reason: follow that order, and don't skip the
"2.control.examples" part just because you want to do audio stuff
immediatly. These examples are very important, too, to get the bigger
picture.  All Pd patches can be edited, changed, copied etc.  Doing
this is *the* way to learn Pd.

Ciao

             _ __latest track: fqdn _ http://footils.org/cms/show/38