[linux-audio-user] Synthesis Tools: What to use and how to use it?

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Mon Mar 7 10:26:37 EST 2005

Frank Barknecht wrote:

[re: learning Pd]

>After you read the html, go through the documentation patches once.
>They are numbered for a reason: follow that order, and don't skip the
>"2.control.examples" part just because you want to do audio stuff
>immediatly. These examples are very important, too, to get the bigger
>picture.  All Pd patches can be edited, changed, copied etc.  Doing
>this is *the* way to learn Pd.

In all things Pd, Frank is my guru, but I'm a devotee of the "plunge &
sink" school of using computers for making music: Dive into what looks
interesting, work there for a while, let things branch naturally, follow
them to other interesting places in the system. I think Pd lends itself
equally to rational and irrational approaches to learning and using its
system.

Best,

dp