[linux-audio-user] Synthesis Tools: What to use and how to use it?

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Mar 7 12:17:27 EST 2005

Hallo,
Dave Phillips hat gesagt: // Dave Phillips wrote:

> Frank Barknecht wrote:
>
> [re: learning Pd]
>
> >These examples are very important, too, to get the bigger picture.
> >All Pd patches can be edited, changed, copied etc.  Doing this is
> >*the* way to learn Pd.
> >
> In all things Pd, Frank is my guru, but I'm a devotee of the "plunge
> & sink" school of using computers for making music: Dive into what
> looks interesting, work there for a while, let things branch
> naturally, follow them to other interesting places in the system. I
> think Pd lends itself equally to rational and irrational approaches
> to learning and using its system.

It probably was a bit unclear what I meant with my last sentence. I
meant to express: "Editing, changing, and copying other patches is
*the* way to learn Pd." Like driving a car is *the* way to learn how
to drive a car. Nevertheless if you only know how to drive a car, but
don't know how to handle a red traffic light, your driving career
might come to a sudden and premature stop. ;)

I think, with Pd it's very easy to forget about the fact, that one is
actually learning a language. With Csound or SuperCollider you are
forced to first learn at least the basics of the language, but Pd is
so easy to get started with, that the finer nuances of using it are
often missed.

Ciao

             _ __latest track: fqdn _ http://footils.org/cms/show/38