[linux-audio-user] is Bristol JACK enabled? - Hallelujah! (kind of)

Sean Bolton musound at jps.net
Mon Mar 14 13:16:52 EST 2005

On Mar 14, 2005, at 4:30 AM, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Tobias Ulbricht wrote:
>> As far as my experience goes, if Bristol provides an ALSA midi
>> sequencer port, it'll automatically show up in qjackctl.
>> Am I right?
>> If so, jack does not really do MIDI handling/sequencing, I guess.
>>
> The MIDI Connections patchbay in QJackCtl is a nice convenience, it's
> not a fundamental aspect of JACK itself. The MIDI patchbay represents
> (IIRC) the status of the ALSA sequencer. If Bristol is not an ALSA
> sequencer client then it will not display in the MIDI patchbay, though
> as a JACK client it will appear in the Audio Connections tab.
>
> As far as I know, at this point JACK has nothing to do with MIDI.

Right: JACK doesn't do MIDI -- yet.

Bristol can be an OSS client or ALSA rawmidi client.  ALSA rawmidi
clients are different from ALSA sequencer clients -- they won't show
up in qjackctl or 'pmidi -l' or the like.

I use Bristol in conjunction with the ALSA snd-virmidi module so I
can use it with ALSA sequencer clients.  On my system, virmidi is
my third sound device, or 'hw:2' (numbering from 0), so I start
bristol like this:

$ ./startBristol -explorer -audio alsa -midi alsa -mididev hw:2

then I can use qjackctl to connect vkeybd or whatever to the virmidi
port (80:0 on my system; on your system you may need 'hw:0' and
'64:0', 'hw:1' and '72:0', etc.).

-Sean