[linux-audio-user] is Bristol JACK enabled? - Hallelujah! (kind of)

Robert Persson ireneshusband at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 14 23:34:02 EST 2005

On March 14, 2005 02:48 pm, quoth Sean Bolton:
> On Mar 14, 2005, at 10:58 AM, Robert Persson wrote:
> > $jacklaunch ./startBristol -seq
> >
> > This is supposed to start Bristol using the alsa sequencer.
>
> Well, whaddaya know!  Shows how much I know.... ;-)
>
> Thanks, Robert, that's much easier than using virmidi!  I do
> need to give mine a '-mididev' to get it to connect to my desired
> source.  For example, if I want it to connect to vkeybd at 130:0, I
> do:
>
> $ jacklaunch ./startBristol -seq -mididev 130.0
>
> Hope that's more helpful than my last post.....
Your last post introduced me to virmidi, which was something I didn't know
about before.

> -Sean
The useful thing I have learned from this latest post is that the mididev is
the midi source that bristol listens to, rather than the bristol engine
itself.

This means that I now have Bristol sort of working, but there are still some
problems:
1.  No pitch wheel control via midi.
2.  Dropped notes while using midi.  Enough to make Bristol unusable.
3.  Hammond emulator doesn't produce sound and crashes very quickly when you
start fiddling with it.  The other emulators seem to be alright (although
there are a couple I haven't tried yet).

Do you get the same dropped notes problem with virmidi?  If not, then while
you're trying my solution I think I'll try yours :)

Robert
--
Robert Persson
ireneshusband at fastmail.fm
YahooMess:ireneshusband AIM:shamanicpolice

"No matter how much ye shake yer peg
The last wee drap rins doon yer leg."