[linux-audio-user] Hammond organ?

Juhana Sadeharju kouhia at nic.funet.fi
Thu Mar 17 15:19:47 EST 2005

>From: Gilles Degottex <gilles.degottex at net2000.ch>
>
>On Tuesday 15 March 2005 05:36, John Check wrote:
>> Have a look at horgand, it's a pretty kick ass hammond emulator.
>> It has a leslie, reverb, rhythm section, the whole schmear.
>
>I already tested it ... IMHO far far away from the original sound and sf2
>synth sounds. I think the problem is horgand seems generate is own primary
>sounds (sounds of the fondamental and the harmonics) and they are too much
>perfect :P A mixed solution between horgand and a wavetable for base sounds,
>could be a better one, I think.

As examples, I extracted a few cuts with Hammond organ kind
sounds from Yello's Motion Picture album (www.yello.ch):

 ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/culture/music/western/Yello/
 yellohammond*.wav

I would like to have similar sounds available. Preferably as
an open source software emulation for the maximum control.
The cuts have other nice sounds as well.

Could anyone record hammond organs from Nord Modular and other
synths? NM users have a huge collection of sound patches. I wonder
if the patches made by users could be converted to our open
source software.

!! I find it always sad when people using system X contributes
intellectual property to X freely and when implicitly the contributed
IP becomes sole property of system X. Thousands of NM user-made
patches are good examples; nobody has ported them to other systems.
Every user-made feature suggestion given to Logic Audio, Cubase,
Maya, Houdini, you-name-it-software are not contributed to other
systems. The user-made contributions may appear in other systems
as "copied from system X", not as "idea contributed by person N.N." !!

Juhana