[linux-audio-user] Re: Anyone interested in helping with melotron

james at dis-dot-dat.net james at dis-dot-dat.net
Mon Mar 21 08:44:39 EST 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar, 2005 at 07:10AM +0100, Julien Claassen spake thus:
> Hi!
>   First of all thanks to you all! Such a mass of replies and filled with so
> many interesting things. I'm sorry, I didn't reply up to now, but my access to
> the internet is limited nowerdays. At home I have none...
>   Thanks for the soundfonts John, Emiliano. The idea about a textbased
> soundfont editing tool sound very interesting to. Get me as your second
> tester. :-)

Okey dokey.

>   Three years ago I talked to Josh Green about this. We discussed the idea of
> textifying swami. The thoughts we came up with were close to the idea of OSC.
> An interactive shell, where the different layers were directories and the
> variables to change (properties?) were like files. Then we had thought about
> the set of useful commands (like cd, ls, cat or show, cp, mv, etc.)

Well, it looks like we'll be using swami for the tools anyway.

Rather than having a program with an interface that appears to be
files and directories, we were thinking of actually using files and
directories.  The top-level source file would point to the other
files, and would be compiled into a soundfont.  This gives us lots of
freedom in how we use it.

>   So that was that. I just thought it might be nice to throw in something,
> that was already thought about, perhaps it's a good one or at least it
> inspires. A scripting language is a very nice thing, too.
>   Again thanks!
>   Kindest regards
>           Julien
>
> Music was my first love and it will be my last (John Miles)
>
> ======== FIND MY WEB-PROJECT AT: ========
> http://ltsb.sourceforge.net - the Linux TextBased Studio guide

(By Vance Petree, Virginia Power)