[linux-audio-user] Common Music vs Open Music

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Fri Mar 18 08:03:49 EST 2005

Hi Jamie:

  OM is effectively unsupported. In its Mac incarnation it's an
ultra-cool graphic environment for the development of musical ideas and
forms; unfortunately, the Linux port is incomplete and cannot be
considered fully operational. It is usable, but it's quite limited
compared to the original. Btw, if you do decide you want to try it, I
suggest using the package from either AGNULA/Demudi or Planet CCRMA.

  CM is incredible. IMO it ranks among the best music software available
for any platform, but it is not an essentially graphics-based
environment. The latest versions do include a nice GTK-based front-end
for rendering CM code to its various targets. That GUI also includes the
Plotter, a sort of graphic output display that can be edited for
interactive use with your code. Output targets include MIDI (files and
realtime streaming via MidiShare), Common Music Notation (if you'd like
to experiment with algorithmically produced scores), and score formats
for Common Lisp Music and Csound (with realtime audio output if
desired). Documentation is very good, and you can purchase the author's
book (Notes From The Metalevel) for in-depth explication and exercises.

  Both OM and CM are Lisp-based environments, so you'll have to learn
some Lisp-ish ways. Fortunately that's not too difficult, and you really
only need to familiarize yourself with some basics before you can dive
deeply into the environments. I advise getting Rick's book if you really
want to get into Common Music, it's an excellent introduction not only
to CM but to the domain of computer-assisted algorithmic music composition.

HTH,

dp