[linux-audio-user] sharing tracks with bittorrent?

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Mar 23 03:06:45 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 23, 2005 at 03:45:11 +1100, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
> g'day
>
> i've just finished re-recording a song that a few people on the list
> have expressed an interest in mixing ... i'm just wondering the best way
> to make the tracks available, and i was thinking that the solution would
> be to tarball the seperate tracks and make a .torrent file out of them.
>
> the thing is, i haven't got that much space on my server, and it seems a
> bit of a waste to take all the time to upload it there (i only have an
> upload speed of, like, 7k/b or something) when i could just share it
> directly in the superb way that bittorrent does.
>
> also, what would be the best way to share the seperate tracks? as *.wav
> files or *.flac or something else?

A torrent seems like a good idea, but in the worst case it will actually
hammer your upstream bandwidth more than uploading it, as it could involve
everyone fetching it directly from your system.

If there is a service out there that acts as a .torrent hosting site and
also a permanant/long term torrent node for the data then you can be sure
that it will be better. I dont know of one though.

It depends wether your trying to be a good citizen by offering people
(potentially) faster downloads, or minimise your upstream bandwidth usage.

FWIW, I wouldn't bother with FLAC and co., I'd just use high-ish rate ogg
files. The difference is hard to spot.

- Steve