[linux-audio-user] Ardour created stuff

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Mon Mar 28 16:01:56 EST 2005

Noah Roberts wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:29:11 -0500, Allan Wind
><allan_wind at lifeintegrity.com> wrote:

>>>Why?  Unless you want to provide the hard drive space and the
>>>bandwidth I don't think so.
>>>

>>Not sure if Mark got back to you privately, but soundclick requires
>>registration for download.  I will pass on that too, but will be
>>listening to your other tracks shortly.   Thanks for sharing.
>>

>No, he didn't.  Well, two things.  First, you can still listen if you
>want.  Second, imho that is pretty lame...like I said, unless you are
>willing to provide the bandwidth and harddrive space for the same
>price...
>
>Sound click is neither intrusive nor malevolent.  They provide a
>pretty decent service to the community for free.  The only thing they
>want is a login name.  This is probably to save on bandwidth,

isn't it more likely that it is "probably" to do with advertising dollars?

> those
>unwilling to participate in the community don't get any.

by participating, i guess you mean "providing private information about
yourself" and/or "wasting time needlessly" ... i mean, if you're posting
a song to the list for comment, it should at least be freely accessible
and *easy* to access - i.e. you should be able to click on alink from
your mail client that will automatically bring up a "save to ..." box,
not a registration page.

>Many other
>sites do the same thing; if they allowed downloads without an account
>it would tripple the requirements of their systems...why the expense
>for a bunch of dorks that don't want to be a part of what is going on?

well, it's just that there's more than Soundclick going on ... and
soundclick seems to sort of suck. i went to download your song, then saw
what was required, and realised i was a "dork".

>I'm sorry, but when a company offers something free like soundclick
>does it is pretty lame to complain about them wanting login accounts
>to use it.  Everyone else charges their artists or provide limited
>space.  Soundclick does neither.  IMHO they deserve some kudo's for
>that, not a bunch of complaining because they want login
>accounts...that is just stupid and selfish.

those comments themselves are stupid and selfish.

>No, I am proud to be an artist on soundclick's website.  If you don't
>like it you don't get to download my music.  I am not going to let
>that bother me too much.

hooray.

shayne