[linux-audio-user] Ardour created stuff

Noah Roberts roberts.noah at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 15:45:58 EST 2005

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 06:03:59 +1000, Mark Constable <markc at renta.net> wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 March 2005 04:09, Noah Roberts wrote:
> > > Not sure if Mark got back to you privately, but soundclick requires
> > > registration for download.  I will pass on that too, but will be
> > > listening to your other tracks shortly.   Thanks for sharing.
> >
> > No, he didn't.  Well, two things.  First, you can still listen if you
> > want.  Second, imho that is pretty lame...like I said, unless you are
> > willing to provide the bandwidth and harddrive space for the same
> > price...
>
> Ironically I have actually been offering space and bandwidth
> to open source audio projects for years but so few people have
> taken advantage of what I have to offer that I don't even
> bother offering anymore.

If you are not offering anything anymore then you don't have anything
to offer now do you.

> > I'm sorry, but when a company offers something free like soundclick
> > does it is pretty lame to complain about them wanting login accounts
> > to use it.  Everyone else charges their artists or provide limited
> > space.  Soundclick does neither.  IMHO they deserve some kudo's for
> > that, not a bunch of complaining because they want login
> > accounts...that is just stupid and selfish.
>
> BS. There is no legitimate reason to require a login to listen
> to free music created with free software. If I am going to buy
> it or actively contribute then sure... just to listen... no way.

I gave at least one reason...you clipped it.  Second, you CAN just
listen!!  What you can't do is download.  They provide a low-bandwidth
stream for people who can't be bothered to sign up.  Seems rather
logical if the reason I gave is indeed the reason they do it.

> > No, I am proud to be an artist on soundclick's website.  If you don't
> > like it you don't get to download my music.  I am not going to let
> > that bother me too much.
>
> If you don't want me to hear your music that's your problem.

Actually, this is your problem.  The music I make is provided free of
charge and easily accessed in at least 3 formats.  If, for some insain
reason you have yet to provide, you do not want to access it I don't
see how that is any problem of mine.  Didn't make my music for you
anyway.  If you want to listen, great, if not well...so what?  Tell me
why I should care.  There is NOTHING stopping you from doing so,
except perhapse some stupid stubborness on your part.  Still not my
problem.

Needless to say, though apparently I still need to say it, I provided
my songs to the public so that those that WANT to can listen.  I also
posted to this list for those that WANT to listen.  Those that don't
need not give lectures about my using soundclick to publish my works.
In my opinion you are full of shit on that subject anyway.  Your
refusal to listen isn't going to make me change providers; for one
thing there are no reasonable alternatives.