[linux-audio-user] Ardour created stuff

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Mon Mar 28 16:51:06 EST 2005

Noah Roberts wrote:

>>>No, he didn't.  Well, two things.  First, you can still listen if you
>>>want.  Second, imho that is pretty lame...like I said, unless you are
>>>willing to provide the bandwidth and harddrive space for the same
>>>price...
>>>

>>Ironically I have actually been offering space and bandwidth
>>to open source audio projects for years but so few people have
>>taken advantage of what I have to offer that I don't even
>>bother offering anymore.
>>

>If you are not offering anything anymore then you don't have anything
>to offer now do you.

>>>I'm sorry, but when a company offers something free like soundclick
>>>does it is pretty lame to complain about them wanting login accounts
>>>to use it.  Everyone else charges their artists or provide limited
>>>space.  Soundclick does neither.  IMHO they deserve some kudo's for
>>>that, not a bunch of complaining because they want login
>>>accounts...that is just stupid and selfish.
>>>

>>BS. There is no legitimate reason to require a login to listen
>>to free music created with free software. If I am going to buy
>>it or actively contribute then sure... just to listen... no way.
>>

>I gave at least one reason...you clipped it.  Second, you CAN just
>listen!!  What you can't do is download.  They provide a low-bandwidth
>stream for people who can't be bothered to sign up.  Seems rather
>logical if the reason I gave is indeed the reason they do it.

didn't realise that there was a low-quality stream there ... will check
out your track, but i don't think anyone here would take the chance of
offering "constructive criticism" of it ... you seem so quick in your
use of insults and belittling. try loosening up a bit ... everyone is
here of their own free time, to help people who want to make music and
who want their music heard. no one here deserves to be called a dork, or
stupid, or branded as insane.

but, no - it doesn't seem logical at all, cos even low-quality stream
uses bandwidth ... the reason is purely for advertising and money.
bandwidth should not be an issue for a site like this.

there are *plenty* of ways for getting stuff online ... i mean, i pay
$12.50 US every quarter (that's, like, $4 a week) for a website/ftp
server that has 500mb disk space, 50 GB a month bandwidth, a whole
shitload of subdomains and users etc etc ... there are options that
don't involve shitty mp3 sites, but they usually require personal
effort. it's worth it though.

>Needless to say, though apparently I still need to say it, I provided
>my songs to the public so that those that WANT to can listen.  I also
>posted to this list for those that WANT to listen.

obviously, Mark *wanted* to listen - after all, he made it as far as the
website ... however, the internet is jam-packed with sites who "only
require registration" - it's a massive pain in the ass, and an invasion
of privacy. *most* people *hate* having to sign up for *anything*.

shayne