[linux-audio-user] Ardour created stuff

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Mon Mar 28 17:02:37 EST 2005

Noah Roberts wrote:

>>>Sound click is neither intrusive nor malevolent.  They provide a
>>>pretty decent service to the community for free.  The only thing they
>>>want is a login name.  This is probably to save on bandwidth,
>>>

>>isn't it more likely that it is "probably" to do with advertising dollars?
>>

>How so?  "we will never make any of this information available to
>others without your consent (see privacy policy for details)"  How
>then, are they making money off of your username?  At worst their
>software tracks your preferences and uses it for providing the best
>ads in the website when you visit, but it probably does this
>anyway...much like gmail.
>
>Perhapse they have better negotiating powers with more signups.  I
>think that is about as far as you can reach with that.

exactly - that's the first thing advertisers want to know - "what's your
subsriber base?". that is about as far as one *needs* to go to prove
that point.

>>>those
>>>unwilling to participate in the community don't get any.
>>>

>>by participating, i guess you mean "providing private information about
>>yourself" and/or "wasting time needlessly" ...
>>

> "Registered members enjoy lots of benefits like winning mp3 players,
>your own My.SoundClick account with your playlists, you can vote for
>your favorite bands, post your opinions on message boards and much
>more."
>
>In other words, participate in a community.  Community members get the
>works.  Those just passing through don't get as much.
>
>Here is the required "private information about yourself" you must provide:
>
>* username
>* password
>* email
>* country
>
>The rest is optional. The first two are obvious necessities.  The
>third to make sure you are a real person (otherwise spammers can get
>accounts and use them to fuck with other users).  I don't know why
>they want country but it isn't a major concern...lie if you want.
>They can get it from your IP anyway..

what if you use a foreign proxy?

>.if you are THAT paranoid you
>shouldn't be on the Internet at all; otherwise you are just kidding
>yourself.
>
> i mean, if you're posting
>

>>a song to the list for comment, it should at least be freely accessible
>>and *easy* to access - i.e. you should be able to click on alink from
>>your mail client that will automatically bring up a "save to ..." box,
>>not a registration page.
>>

>Well, you won't get a "save to..." box but you will see links to lo-fi
>streams.  If you want more you have to do more...and not a whole lot
>more really.
>

>>>Many other
>>>sites do the same thing; if they allowed downloads without an account
>>>it would tripple the requirements of their systems...why the expense
>>>for a bunch of dorks that don't want to be a part of what is going on?
>>>

>>well, it's just that there's more than Soundclick going on ... and
>>soundclick seems to sort of suck. i went to download your song, then saw
>>what was required, and realised i was a "dork".
>>

>Good.  Then stick with the stream or don't listen at all.  (Yeah, I
>was wrong...this is even stupider than I thought.  You can listen to
>the hi-fi stream without signing up!!!)

yeah, i just noticed that ... goodo .... is it not possible to provide a
link to the stream, then?

>That seems pretty simple to me.  When you start providing the same
>service they do for free I might see you as something other than a
>snot nosed brat.

how about this, ya arrogant prick:

http://www.machinehasnoagenda.com/jinzora.html

>>>I'm sorry, but when a company offers something free like soundclick
>>>does it is pretty lame to complain about them wanting login accounts
>>>to use it.  Everyone else charges their artists or provide limited
>>>space.  Soundclick does neither.  IMHO they deserve some kudo's for
>>>that, not a bunch of complaining because they want login
>>>accounts...that is just stupid and selfish.
>>>

>>those comments themselves are stupid and selfish.
>>

>How so?

because they are arrogant.

>>>No, I am proud to be an artist on soundclick's website.  If you don't
>>>like it you don't get to download my music.  I am not going to let
>>>that bother me too much.
>>>

>>hooray.
>>

>?

hooray.