[linux-audio-user] Jamin compressor vs LADSPA SC

Steve Harris S.W.Harris at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Mar 30 17:45:28 EST 2005

On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 12:42:29PM -0800, Iain Duncan wrote:

> >>Is there actually a gain reduction output port or would I need to do:
> >>
> >>( input ) - ( output - boost )
> >>
> >>The above would successfully give me gain reduction correct?
> >

> >The obove wouldn't be quite right, but there is a reduction output.
>
> Okay great. Can you tell what's wrong with the above out of curiousity?

Well, input and output are audio signals, so if you difference them you
will get something complicated, but not the difference in amplitude.

You could take the envelope of input and output and difference the
envelopes, but it will be a different envelope follower to the one in the
plugin, so it wont be quite right anyway.

- Steve