[linux-audio-user] Re: rlimits patch - how to start app with realtime permissions?

Jack O'Quin joq at io.com
Fri May 6 11:35:57 EDT 2005

[copying response to LAU]

Ruben Jenster <ruben at hotheads.de> writes:

> I'm sorry to bug you again. I know it's not your patch but I read in
> the lau mailinglist that you have it working. Hope you can help a
> nOOb like me.

Actually, I don't.  I've been too busy with other projects.  I still
run the realtime-lsm here.  It's so easy...  ;-)

Jody recommended asking these questions on linux-audio-users (copied
here).  You are certainly not the only one having trouble configuring
rlimits.

> Now the question about rlimits.
> I applied the patch and modified /etc/security/limits.conf according.
> My user acount also belongs to the audio group, but I have no idea how to
> start e. g. jackd in realtime mode. I looked several times at the wiki
> and in the lau mailinglist but I havn't found a hint.

Did you apply the PAM patch?

> Can you tell me how to start a app as user with the rlimits patch?
> Neither 'jackd -R ...' nor 'nice -n -10 jackd ..' do work.

jackd -Rv -dalsa

If that does not work, then things are still not configured correctly.
The -v option is for debug output.  Once it's working you can leave
that off.
--
  joq