[linux-audio-user] Re: An equivalent for Megafont

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Thu May 12 19:53:04 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 20:29 -0300, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez Meyer
wrote:
> El jue, 12-05-2005 a las 20:07, Lee Revell escribió:
> [snip]
> >
> > You want asfxload, not sfxload.  sfxload is an OSS program, asfxload is
> > for ALSA.
> >
> > AFAIK you don't need a special program to load large soundfonts, because
> > ALSA supports larger soundfonts than Windows by default.
> >
> > Lee
>
> Well, I checked what exactly this guy wanted. I'll try to make this
> clear, because I already made it a mess :-)
>
> First of all, I'm very new to sfs, so I may be writting garbage.
> It seems that this guy doesn want asfxload nor sfxload, because they
> can't load sf2s "dinamically". I couldn't understand this, so I went to
> [1]. It seems that this program can load the sf2 "on request", or
> something like that.
> The source of the program can be downloaded in [2], but I don't know
> under wich license they are.
> Anyway, if someone can explain me if there are any differencies, please
> do it :-)
>
> [1] http://www.geocities.com/lstnght2000/
> [2] http://www.geocities.com/lstnght2000/megafont_mutation_src.zip

This is pretty cool.  I think asfxload can theoretically be extended to
do this as well.  I'll point this out on alsa-devel.

However this program appears to require the Creative drivers.  All the
Windows users I know seems use the kX drivers.

Lee