[linux-audio-user] Sofsynths & ALSA MIDI Questions

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sun May 15 06:43:12 EDT 2005

NiXO Beee wrote:

>It pointed out a difference between aftertouch and channel pressure I wasn't aware of.

Channel aftertouch/pressure is indeed a "whole keyboard" implementation
of aftertouch (read: cheaper for manufacturers). The less common
polyphonic aftertouch let the player control the aftertouch on a per-key
basis. I've not kept up with the new hardware, perhaps poly AT is more
widely implemented now ?

The MIDI spec includes some other neat stuff, such as the Type 2 MIDI
file format and key-release velocity. Few manufacturers have made use of
that stuff, IIRC.

Best,

dp