[linux-audio-user] RE: More Homemade Muzak

MarC marc_contrib at ramonvinyes.es
Sat May 21 06:27:05 EDT 2005

>> Well, back when I had the idea to play drums on a keyboard I quickly
>> came to the conclusion that having some e-drums/trigger-pads would
>> be realy nice ... ;-)
>
> I'd be curious to know what other low-budget MIDI-drumming solution
> people use (aside computer/synth keyboard drumming)...?

I also agree with the idea that it's necessary to have a drum pad. I'm
sorry, but the "standard-low-budget" MIDI keyboards (e.g. Evolution
MK249) don't allow much expression: only a discretized set of volumes,
some controller-wheel-triggered effects and pitch crappy modification. I
play the guitar (only double price that the MIDI keyboard) and I believe
that a string is much better than this because you've got realtime
control of a lot of things at the same time (volume, pitch, mute,
saturation, kind of attack).
Moreover you can only say that keyboard'drums are fine if you've never
touched a drum set. You lose a lot of time reproducing the volume
changes in every component which IMO is really important to make them
sound realistic and you lose a lot of things like where you hit the
snare and all this...
Finally the snare drum rolls totally suck in all the drum programs I've
tried in Linux (you really need a physical model to reproduce them and
not a simple sum of samples).

So that's it, I'm quite skeptical about all this. I use hydrogen because
of the possibility of randomizing the attacks rock for non-drummer
players who want to make song drafts to share with other musicians and I
use the keyboard to trigger some of them but if I had the money I would
definitively buy a drum set/drum pad and take some drum lessons ...
so I'd like to know also of a low-budget MIDI-drumming solution ...

<!--
And uhm... here it is Yet Another Hydrogen Home Made Demo for the people
wanting to listen...

http://telefonica.net/web2/mrvinyes/litlnemo/songs/assaig03.ogg
(Marc Vinyes, released under the
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.0/ license)

if there is here any drummer from Barcelona who wants to play with me
and replace those crappy drums PLEASE let me know! I'm searching real
people to start a project... human's creativity and expressivity rock
even if you have to deal with their bad mood, obsessions and real life
problems...
web site: litlnemo.redirectme.net (sorry, most of it is in spanish...)
-->

Cheers
MarC