[linux-audio-user] Realtime as User SuSE 9.3 (64bit)

David Haggett david at haggett.demon.co.uk
Mon May 23 04:14:51 EDT 2005

Launching jack as a user, I can't get it to run with realtime privileges, and
I get lots of cracks and pops from my speakers.

As root, I can launch jack in realtime, and the pops/cracks disappear, but I
can't access the LADSPA plugins (this is a configuration issue that I could
resolve if I wanted to).

I note that SUSE have included the Capability LSM in their kernel as I get
"linux kernel: Capability LSM initialized" in the log file, but I don't know
whether this means:
  - the realtime functionality just needs to be configured
  - I need to build and install a separate realtime module, or
  - I need to build or otherwise obtain a kernel specifically built
    for realtime support

If at all possible, I'd like to do it without rebuilding the kernel myself,
but if I need to, I would be so grateful to hear from someone who's already
succeeded with this on SuSE 9.3.

Many thanks in advance.
--

David Haggett