[linux-audio-user] Syncing Ardour + Hydrogen so Hydrogen

Stuart Allie Stuart.Allie at hydro.com.au
Thu May 26 19:36:06 EDT 2005

> On Wednesday 25 May 2005 21:02, Aaron Trumm wrote:
> > > we just need a change from a tempo of 86bpm to 94bpm and back
again
> > > ... how do we do this in ardour? will i have to record the
hydrogen
> > > tracks into ardour at the different tempos, and then adjust the
> > > ardour tempo track to match up? that would sort of suck ... other
> > > approaches?
> >
> > I dunno if this'll work for your purposes, but what I'd do is create
> > the proper tempo map in ardour, create a beat in hydrogen of the
right
> > tempo for the section, export it as a .wav and import it into ardour
-
> > that's how i do all my hydrogen stuff with ardour
>
> but this way you can't simply change things as you like in realtime, i
> don't
> like this. sync out/in has to work so that both programs can be used
in
> realtime rather making wave files each time which is ok if you are
doing
> your
> final mixdown.

Hi Aaron,

Unfortunately, Hydrogen is broken with regards to tempo changes at the
moment. (I'm using 0.9.1 and trying to work out where the problem lies,
but no luck so far.) There is a new beta release, 0.9.2.beta2 I think.
It might be worth giving that a try.  I posted on the hydrogen forums
pointing out that the behaviour was broken, and there was no response;
but looking at other postings there, I am sure that the developers are
aware of the problem - we can only hope they are working on it.

One idea, completely untested - if you export your hydrogen song to midi
and then import the midi to muse (or rosegarden?), you could sync muse
to ardour, and have muse drive hydrogen. I'll try to test that over this
weekend.

Cheers,
Stuart