[linux-audio-user] Dual heads

tommy illth at gmx.de
Fri May 27 06:54:00 EDT 2005

Lee Revell schrieb:

>On Thu, 2005-05-26 at 22:08 +0000, ix at replic.net wrote:

>>on

>>>My Matrox Millennium G450 works great...
>>>

>>sounds obsolete, i think i used one of those 5 years ago?
>>

>Of course it's "obsolete", we're talking about a DAW, not a box to play
>Doom 3, right?
>

>> ,. ok maybe it was G400..any low end nvidia (say 6200) will work with
>>dualhead and has excellent linux support with the "nvidia"

1) The actual nvidia driver has NO support for the nv44a "aka 6200 AGP"
2) for some people, the nvidia driver leads to crashes, seems to have
something to do with the bios (fortunately not for me)
3) On my box, software suspend (1 & 2) won't  work when in X with nvidia
drivers. - of course i can kill X, but then i
    can also shutdown the box
4) You can't use hw accellerated fb w/ nvidia drivers, u must use vseafb-tng

that u call "excellent linux support" ???

ok, i always buy nvidia cards ... because i need to play doom3 (and ut2004).
if you are sure u never want to play doom3 ... get some _elder_ matrox / Ati

they got good opensourced drivers for 2D support and basic OpenGL
support- usefull 4 Desktop.

The opensourced "nv" module for nvidia OTOH neither supports dualhead,
nor does it support xv
- the last i would call a basic feature - so this ain't either an option.

keep in mind Nvidia = best 3d performance u get, but u are stuck w/
their drivers.

>Many people don't consider having to use a binary only driver
>"excellent".

i don't actually mind if the driver is binary or not, but see issues above.