[linux-audio-user] light multitrack recording

Peter Lutek plutek at infinity.net
Fri May 27 11:03:16 EDT 2005

On Fri, 27 May 2005 07:38:37 -0700, Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc at doink.com>
wrote:

> On 27 May 2005 at 10:03, "Peter Lutek" <plutek at infinity.net> wrote:
>
>> i'm wondering what you all would recommend as the least
>> resource-consuming
>> (in terms of cpu/memory usage) method for multitrack recording. i need
>> record 18 channels (each to its own file) of 44.1kHz float audio in a
>> live
>> setting, while simultaneously running some looping and FX, so i'd like
>> keep the recording chain as lean as possible.
>>
>> curiously, my tests have shown significantly lower average system load
>> using ardour than using ecasound. i was surprised by this, having
>> assumed
>> that ecasound would be the solution. so now i'm wondering if other
>> options
>> might be even better than ardour. maybe a recorder built in pd? i do
>> need
>> metering, preferably with resettable peak indicators.
>
> I'd go with ardour.  There are some LADSPA plugin meters that
> will do what you want.  I too find ardour to have surprisingly
> light load on my 2GHz Celeron with 1GB of RAM.  What soundcard(s)
> are you using for your 18 channels?  I'm using an 8ch M-audio
> Delta 1010.  I expect you might need/have RME gear with all of
> those channels.  Join the ardour list if you want to learn more
> about that.

thanks, kevin.... yup, i'm on the ardour list, but am ok with the ardour
side of things. incidentally, you don't need a plugin for the
metering..... the ardour mixer shows peaks in each strip, and is now
globally resettable (ctrl-click in any channel peak box resets all
channels). yes, i'm using an rme multiface (8 analog, 8 adat, 2spdif).

-p