[linux-audio-user] Problem with es1371 card - no PCM volume controls!

Stuart Allie Stuart.Allie at hydro.com.au
Thu Oct 6 19:45:51 EDT 2005

Hi All,

I just upgraded from RedHat 9 to Fedora Core 3 + PlanetCCRMA. FC3
correctly identified both the onboard sound (intel8x0) and the pci card
(ens1371). While the onboard sound works perfectly, I can't get any
sound out of the pci card. The mixer for the pci card doesn't show any
PCM controls, so I can't unmute and set the PCM volume. There's a master
volume, phono, aux, CD, ... but no PCM.

Some info that might help:

- /etc/modprobe.conf is pretty simple:

 alias char-major-116 snd
 alias snd-card-0 snd-ens1371
 option snd-card-0 index=0
 alias snd-card-1 snd-intel8x0
 option snd-card-1 index=1
 alias char-major-14 soundcore
 alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
 alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1

- Alsa is 1.0.9 (rc1) from the last planet cdrom image for FC3.

- /proc/asound/card0/oss_mixer has a line like this:
PCM "" 0

- amixer doesn't list a "PCM" simple mixer control.

- when installing FC3, it successfully played a sample sound through the
ens1371 card. (FC3 uses alsa 1.0.6)

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart Allie

stuart -dot- allie -at- hydro -dot- com -dot- au
musicians.opensrc.org/StuartAllie
allie.opensrc.org